You have edited some GE settings or Performance settings within a KDF file, and want to know how to save your edits so the next time you load the KDF file you can recreate your work.
The KDF File is the main "document" of KARMA Software (just like a text document is the main document in Microsoft Word, for example.) You can have more than one of these open at the same time, and switch between them, just like text documents in a word processor.
The architecture of a Performance in the KDF file is similar to the architecture of a Combi in your Korg synth: A Combi contains pointers to Programs that are used by the timbres. A Performance contains pointers to GEs that are used by the KARMA Modules.
If you load a Combi Performance in the software, and you modify one of the GEs in the GE Editor, it's like modifying a Program in a Combi in the Korg synth: if you don't save the Program, the next time you load the combi, it won't sound the same, because it calls up the original program, not the modified one. It's the same situation for GEs. If you modify a GE, you must either save it in the same location (using the STORE button at the top of the GE Editor), or save it in a different location in a new bank of GEs. However, at that point, if you save the GE in a new location, you would need to save the Performance as well (using the STORE button at the top of the Performance Editor), or it would still be pointing at the original GE locations. (Imagine in your Korg keyboard the same situation: you edit a program in A000 that is used in a Combi, but then save it to B125. The Combi is still pointing to A000 unless it is edited and saved.
Or if you edit parameters in the Performance Editor, the Performance is modified. So you need to save the Performance as well using the STORE button at the top of the Performance Editor.
And after all is said and done, you have stored edits in the KDF file. But you didn't save the KDF file. That's like making edits in a Word doc, but then not saving the doc. So you have to save the KDF file (File Menu > Save).
In other words, to write the changes to the GE or Performance into the KDF file, you use the STORE buttons at the top of the GE and Perf Editors. But this only writes the edit buffers into the KDF. It does NOT save the KDF. Saving the KDF is the additional step that writes the edited KDF to the hard disk.
In summary, the process goes like this:
- You loaded a Combi Performance with the KARMA Software.
- You modified a GE in the GE Editor, within one of the modules. You now want to save all of that so it sounds the same.
- Press the STORE button at the top of the GE editor, and save it into another empty bank (if desired), or overwrite the same location. Note: if you store the GE on top of itself, be aware that you might be affecting other combis (just as modifying a Program in your Korg keyboard may affect other Combis).
- At this point, however, you haven't saved the Performance. Go to the Performance Editor, and press the STORE button at the top. Again, you can overwrite the current one, or make a new one in some other bank (just like a Korg synth).
- Finally, use the File Menu to either Save or Save As… the KDF file.By default, the program opens the last opened/saved KDF file next time you launch it, but you can open others and more than one at the same time using the File Menu > Open command.
When the Performance, GE, or KDF File is modified, you will see an asterisk (*) in front of the File name, or GE Name, or Performance Name. When the appropriate storing or saving operation is performed, the asterisk goes away.
On the File Menu is also the "Save All Update" command, which saves everything into the current locations - it first saves the GE edits, then the Performance Edits, then the KDF. However, be aware that this is kind of dangerous in that it simply overwrites everything. Be aware that this option will likely be removed in future versions. If you don't mind, if you have another version of the file somewhere else, it's OK to use it.