You would like to modify one of the existing 671 drum pattern presets available in the M3 and save the newly-edited pattern as a user pattern, but you are unsure how to do it.
Procedure — Editing preset drum patterns with RPPR in SEQ mode.
Preset drum patterns cannot be edited directly, so they must first be copied to user pattern in a song in SEQ / RPPR mode by using the Copy Pattern command. After copying to a user pattern slot, you can then edit the pattern and save it to the USER pattern bank with the Convert to Drum Trk Pattern command.
- Begin by entering SEQ mode and selecting a new, empty song.
- Set up the first track of the song with your chosen drum kit for the pattern. (Note: You can also use the auto song setup functions, load a template song, or use the Copy from Program/Combi commands to set up the sequencer, if you prefer.)
- Press the Page Select button and select SEQ P10: Pattern/RPPR.
- Ensure the Track Select field points to your chosen drum kit (e.g. Track01 - Trance Kit). Play the keyboard and ensure you hear your drum kit as you press the keys.
- Next, on the screen, touch the Pattern: > arrow button and select Preset from the drop-down menu (there are only two choices here: Preset and User).
- Touch the Pattern Select field > arrow and choose the preset pattern you want to edit.
- You can now press the Sequencer Play/Stop button on the Control Surface to listen to the pattern, but note that you cannot yet make any edits to this preset pattern. Press the Sequencer Play/Stop button again when finished listening.
- Now, touch the Menu Command button and select the Copy Pattern command to open the dialog box.
- Ensure the preset pattern number you want to edit appears in the From (Song xxx): Pattern. If for some reason you do not see the correct pattern number, then dial in the correct number with the data wheel.
- In the To: Song / Pattern field, select the first available empty pattern, e.g. U00.
- Touch the OK button to execute the command and copy the pattern.
- To begin editing the drum pattern, you must first select the newly-copied pattern by touching the Pattern: > arrow button and choosing User from the drop-down menu. Dial in the user pattern number you chose in step 10.
- Press the Sequencer Play/Stop button on the Control Surface to listen to your pattern and confirm it has copied over properly. Then, press the Sequencer Play/Stop button again to stop listening.
- You can now edit the pattern using Real Time Record, Event Edit or Step Recording (Loop Type).
Note: Steps for editing using RPPR or the sequencer are not covered by this wiki article.
Procedure — Saving your custom pattern
- Touch the Menu Command button, and select the Convert to Drum Trk Pattern
- In the To field, choose a specific location in the USER bank for the pattern and select OK. Warning: Any data that exists in that slot will be overwritten.